Carrot & Orange Sunshine Smoothie
I have a serious thing for smoothies. For breakfast, a midday snack, or post-workout fuel - they are so refreshing, super easy to enjoy on-the-go, and you can pack in a ton of vegetables, fruit and protein! You also use the entire ingredient for smoothies, compared to juices which are typically stripped of all the fiber that comes with fruits and vegetables. While It’s true that smoothies can be filled with added sugar, you can avoid this by making smoothies on your own at home. Homemade smoothies are also way more affordable - you won’t be paying an extra two dollars just for an added boost.
This carrot and orange smoothie is a delicious alternative to green smoothies, which I’ve had a lot of lately now that the weather is heating up. It reminds me a little bit of Jamba Juice’s Orange Dream Machine smoothie (obsessed with these when I was in college), but with sweetness (and nutrients!) from carrot and banana instead of sugar-laden sherbet and froyo. Plus there’s extra zing from the turmeric! This smoothie is loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory ingredients - I hope you try it!
Carrot and Orange Sunshine Smoothie
- 1 ½ cup almond or other mild-flavored milk
- ½ cup carrot, roughly diced
- ½ an orange, peeled and chopped into chunks
- ½ a lemon, juiced
- 1 small banana, frozen
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tbs fresh turmeric, peeled and roughly diced, or ½ tsp powder
- 2 ice cubes
- 2 tbs hemp seeds (for added protein)
- Dash of black pepper (helps activate turmeric)
- 1 1" knob ginger, chopped fine
- In a blender, add carrot, orange, turmeric and almond milk. Blend on high until carrot is nearly pulverized.
- Add everything else and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust flavor as you’d like. Option to strain it if you prefer a smoother drink.
- Divide between two glasses and serve.